Designed by Frederick Peterson, this Italianate
1859 building is New York City’s largest brownstone
structure. To celebrate it’s 140th year, The Cooper
Union implemented a master plan for a complete exterior
restoration and awarded the project to Nicholson & Galloway
as General Contractor.
building showed typical brownstone failures, including severe
weathering and exfoliation of bedding plains. Nicholson
& Galloway hand tooled over 24,000 square feet of failing
brownstone. This two-step tooling process consisted of honing
back unsound brownstone (using wet-grinding diamond wheels)
to an acceptable sound surface. The honed surface was then
hand tooled with pneumatic chisels to achieve a finely textured
surface. Along with this major tooling program over 3000
cubic feet of deteriorated brownstone was replaced with
new material produced from the same Connecticut quarry that
supplied the original stone.
work performed by Nicholson & Galloway’s own personnel
included: installing 220 pieces of cast stone elements,
replacing 11,000 square feet of stucco, replacing over 1,000
linear feet of ornamental copper cornices and stainless
steel armature, and restoration of 4,300 square feet of
cast-iron storefront. Replacement of 370 mahogany historic
wood windows and clock restoration was performed by subcontractors
under the direction of Nicholson & Galloway.
award-winning ten-million dollar facade restoration was
completed on budget and ahead of schedule.