The Plaza Hotel, a French Renaissance château-style building that was designed by Henry Janeway Hardenbergh and opened to the public on October 1, 1907. The Plaza was accorded landmark status by the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission in 1988 and is, with the Waldorf-Astoria, the only New York City hotel to be designated as a National Historic Landmark. The building was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1978.
Nicholson & Galloway, Inc. was contracted to replace the Ludowici tile mansard roofs and new membrane underlayment. Stainless steel fasteners, and hurricane clips were integrated into the system to create a durable roof which could withstand windy New York winters. All existing gutters were waterproofed with a cold fluid applied waterproofing. Flat roofing consisted of replacement and new roofing with a hot fluid applied rubberized asphalt waterproofing. Nicholson & Galloway also fabricated and installed over seventy five Copper dormers to match the original 1907 design, other copper work performed includes Cheneau Gutters, Restoration of the Pavilion cresting’s, Standing Seam copper roofing and copper wall cladding. All work was performed and supervised by Nicholson & Galloway’s own work forces.
Owner: Elad Properties
Construction Manager: Tishman Construction
Architect: Costas Kondylis and Partners, LLP
Engineer: Cantor Seinuk Group
General Restoration Contractor: Nicholson & Galloway Inc.
Roofing Consultant: James R. Gainfort AIA